Yard Sales

New Yard Sale Guidelines 

Permits are Required 

The City of South El Monte has adopted new yard sale guidelines (effective June 1, 2018). Yard sales will no longer be allowed on the first weekend of March, June, September, & December.

Yard sales in residential zone areas will be allowed on the first Saturday of every month, however, a permit is required. There is no fee for the permit.

Permit will be required to be displayed at the location of yard sale.


A permit application may be obtained at City Hall during business hours or downloaded from the City website. There is no fee for the permit.  Proof of South El Monte residency (i.e. utility bill, identification card) is required.  The Planning Division will review the application. Upon approval the Planning Division will provide a permit. In the event of rain, resident must contact the Planning Division to obtain a new permit for the following Saturday. 

Monday - Thursday 
7:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon  and 1:00 -  5:30 p.m. 


All goods offered for sale shall be property of the owner, tenant, or occupant of residence. No new merchandise shall be offered for sale.

All merchandise must be kept on private property and not public right-of-way such as sidewalks and streets.


Only two advertising signs (not exceeding 6 sq. ft.) may be used and can only be placed on the property the sale is taking place on. It is illegal to place signs on utility poles, street trees, and sidewalks.  Signage cannot be posted earlier than 24 hours prior to the sale and must be removed on the same day of yard sale.


Individuals who fail to comply with the City’s yard sale regulations are subject to an Administrative Citation, which can range from $100 to $500.

For additional information, please call the Planning Division at (626) 579-6540 ext. 3201.