Obtaining a Building Permit
​Who may obtain a Building Permit?

Property Owners, State of California Licensed Contractors or Agent for property owner/contractor (with proper authorization) may obtain a building permit.

Property Owners must provide the following:

    • Proof of identification (Driver's Licenses, State Issued ID Card, Alien Registration Card or U.S. Passport- photo ID's only) 
    • Proof of ownership, if there has been a recent transfer of ownership (e.g. Grant Deed, Escrow Closing Statement)
    • Completed and signed "Notice to Property Owner" 
    • Trust - if the property is owned by a Trust, a copy of the trust paperwork showing the trustee or executor as an authorized  signatory for the property.
    • Corporation LLC or Partnership- if the property is owned by a Corporation, LLC, or Partnership, you will need to provide a copy of the operating agreement or corporate paperwork from when the corporation was formed, which verifies the President, Vice-President, CEO, Partner, or Managing Member.
    • Condominiums and and Townhomes— If the project is in the common area or exterior of a condominium building, a letter of authorization signed by the HOA president is required along with documentation (e.g. HOA minutes) verifying the authenticity of the president’s position with the HOA. Alternatively, authorization from all condominium owners may be considered.

Contractors must provide the following:

    • Proof of current State of California Contractor’s License & classification (pocket card).
    • Proof of valid Worker’s Compensation Insurance (for contractors with multiple employees).
    • If licensee is different than applicant for building permit, then a notarized "Authorized Agent Form - Contractor" will be required to pull permits on behalf of the licensed contractor. This form will need to be on file with the City and on-hand at time of permit issuance.
    • Individual pulling permit must have a current Contractor's Registration License with the City of South El Monte.