When is a building permit required?
A building permit is required whenever you are constructing, moving, altering, converting, improving, repairing or demolishing a structure in any area of the City.It applies to work on the interior as well as exterior of the structure.
Permits are required for the following projects:
- New Construction
- Tenant Improvements
- Additions and Alterations
- Room Conversions
- Garage Conversions
- Carports (Commercial)
- Patio Covers (Solid or Lattice)
- Patio Enclosures
- New Fireplace
- New Swimming Pools or Spa
- New doors or windows (including any window or change outs)
- Relocation of interior walls
- Storage sheds over 120 square feet
- New or alterations to any of the following: electrical, mechanical, or plumbing systems
*This is a partial list, please contact the Building and Safety Department for a complete list at (626) 579-6540 Ext. 3246.
Permits are not required for the following projects:
- Painting of existing buildings
- New kitchen cabinets or change-out of existing cabinets on residential properties.
- New wood flooring or carpets
- Storage sheds and detached structures under 120 square feet. However storage sheds are subject to setback requirements as set forth in Zoning Ordinance. Contact the Planning Department at (626) 579-6540 Ext. 3201 for more information.